The Landlord has not been taking care of my rental property – Can I get out of my lease?

By law, landlords are required to maintain rental units in a condition fit for human habitants. However, the term “fit for human habitants” can be a bit ambiguous. In order for a premise to be considered livable it must meet the following requirements:

  • Working plumbing
  • Functioning heating system
  • Supply of hot and cold running water
  • Free of rodents and vermin
  • Building is up to code and structurally sound
  • Safe living conditions
  • Roof, windows and doors are free of water leaks

Schedule FREE Consultation Now

Your Duties as a Tenant

As a tenant, you have a duty to notify the landlord of any needed repairs or issues. The best way to notify the landlord is in writing. Always be sure to define the issue in detail and keep a dated copy of the notice for your own records. Once the landlord has been notified they must be given a “reasonable” amount of time to complete the repairs.  In general, a reasonable amount of time would be considered 30 days, but can vary based on the severity of the issue at hand.  For example, if the heat goes out on a cold Wisconsin day, 2 days may be considered a reasonable amount of time.

When to Contact Your Experienced Menomonee Falls Attorney

If the landlord fails to make repairs within a reasonable amount of time, you may have grounds for a breach of habitability. Knowing your rights and responsibilities as a tenant is the first step to ensuring a safe and painless rental experience.  Let our knowledgeable real estate lawyers help keep your standard of living at the level it should be.

If you’re in need of assistance with a residential or commercial rental property, contact our Wisconsin real estate attorneys to schedule a free consultation.

Return to the Frequently Asked Questions

Over 60 Years of Outstanding Results

Over 60 Years of Results!


Contact McLario Today!


Come visit McLario Law Offices!

McLario Hours

8am to 5pm – Monday-Friday

Contact Us

Lawyer Web Site Design by
Contact McLario, Helm, Bertling & Spiege, S.C. Law Offices for a Free legal Consultation