Bike to Work Day is a terrific way to get some exercise and save on gas. This is the perfect day to welcome the warm weather coming your way. To make sure you stay safe you should be aware of the risks of sharing the road with motor vehicles. There is always the potential for an accident so use these tips to stay safe.
Bike Rider Safety Tips
- Wear a helmet and reflective gear. This will help you be visible to drivers and can protect you in the event of a fall.
- Obey traffic laws. Ride in the direction of traffic and follow all the rules of the road.
- Use caution at intersections. This is where most bike-related accidents occur, so it’s essential to be extra careful. Look both ways before crossing and be aware of cars that may not see you.
- Watch for obstacles. Potholes, grates, and debris can cause you to lose control of your bike. Be on the lookout for these hazards and avoid them if possible.
- Ride defensively. Assume that drivers don’t see you and be prepared to take evasive action if necessary.
By following these safety tips, you can help reduce your risk of being involved in an accident but if you’re injured in a bike-related accident, you may be able to seek compensation from the at-fault driver to cover your medical expenses or lost wages.
What to do if you are involved in an accident
If you are involved in a bike-related accident, there are a few things you should do:
- Seek medical attention. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s essential to see a doctor. Some injuries, such as concussions, may not be immediately apparent.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses. These people can provide valuable information if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Take photos of the scene. This can help document what happened.
- Contact an experienced bike crash attorney in Milwaukee. A Wisconsin bike crash attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and can fight for the compensation you deserve.
At McLario Law , Your Firm For Life, our team of experienced Menomonee Falls personal injury lawyers have helped countless bike accident victims secure the compensation they need to move on with their lives. We’re here to help you, too. Call us today for a free consultation.