facebook pixel

Pay My Bill My Account

December 29th, 2021 |

When to report a slip and fall

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Frozen Wisconsin temperatures coupled with the accumulation of snow and ice can be downright dangerous for pedestrians on sidewalks and parking lots. A snow or ice slip and fall in Wisconsin can cause serious injuries. If you’re injured in such an accident, you’ll want to arrange for a free consultation and case review with a slip and fall injury lawyer in the Milwaukee area.

Wisconsin’s Snow and Ice Removal Rule

The general rule is that owners and occupiers of real estate in Wisconsin are required to remove snow and ice from walkways and parking lots within a reasonable amount of time after snow has accumulated or ice has developed. The actual amount of time for a snow or ice removal in Wisconsin varies from community to community by their ordinances. Most require removal within 24 or 48 hours.

Slip and Falls and Workers’ Compensation

Even large companies like Harley-Davidson or Allen-Bradley must maintain their employee parking lots in a reasonably safe condition because under Wisconsin law, if an employee is injured in a slip and fall from accumulated snow or ice while walking into or leaving work, a workers’ compensation claim can be made against the company. Even the management company that operates Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa can be held liable for injuries suffered by a shopper in a snow or ice slip and fall accident.

Who to Report Your Slip and Fall Accident To

It’s strongly advised by our slip and fall accident lawyer that your accident and injuries be reported to the owner or occupier of the location that you fell at right away. Even if you don’t feel any injuries or are embarrassed and don’t want anyone to know it’s important to report it because you may discover aches and pains weeks later.

  • Private residence = owner or tenant
  • Apartment or condominium = property management company
  • Commercial property = owner or management company
  • So long as the accident victim was lawfully on the property, he or she can seek damages under Wisconsin law.
  • When to seek legal assistance when you are injured

After notifying the appropriate person or entity of your accident and injuries seek care of any injuries you might experience. Doing that will help tie in your injuries with your fall. Then, contact The Mclario Firm for that free consultation and case review with a slip and fall accident lawyer in the Milwaukee area. Tell us about what happened and how you’ve been affected by it. Then, we’ll advise you on all your legal options.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Request A Free Consultation

When you contact our Milwaukee area law firm, your case will be treated like a unique request for assistance.