facebook pixel

Have A Student Going to College? What Legal Documents Should Be in Place?

collegeBefore your child goes to college, you need some documents to ensure that everything is in order. The major ones are the power of attorney, HIPAA authorization, and health care Power of Attorney (POA). You will need an attorney from McLario Helm Bertling & Spiegel to assist you with the process. This way, you will get the following documents without complications.

1. HIPAA Authorization 
Typically, the HIPAA Authorization Form will give you the power to get information about your child’s health. According to the law, when your child turns 18, you don’t have the right to view their health records. On that account, the document bestows you the chance to know when your college kid is sick.

The student will fill the form so that family or friends can get updates on medical treatment. The good news is that you can utilize the services of the Milwaukee estate planning lawyers to provide all the crucial documents. Then you can provide your health care provider with a copy just as you do your insurance card so they have it should a situation arise.

2. Financial Power of Attorney 
A financial power of attorney gives you authority as a parent to manage financial matters on behalf of your student. The good news is that Milwaukee estate planning lawyers will guide you every step of the way. The professionals will get all the necessary records to handle your child’s bank accounts or tax returns if needed.

3. Health Care Power of Attorney
The health care proxy working with the attorney has the power to handle health issues if the student becomes medically incapacitated. In that regard, you will assume the role of a medical agent as a parent. To get more clarification on the matter, you need an attorney from McLario Helm Bertling & Spiegel to assist you. He or she will give you expert guidance to make informed decisions regarding your child’s health.

Schedule Free Consultation

When you contact our Milwaukee area law firm, your case will be treated like a unique request for assistance. You are a real person with real needs and will be treated like one by our firm. Nobody has time to be passed around an office from paralegal to secretary and back.
  • Request a Phone Conference