Distracted Driving 101
Distractions are dangerous because they take your attention away from the road when you need to be alert. When a driver is distracted, they put themselves and the other people on the road in danger. Distracted driving causes 3,000 deaths each year. Distracted driving causes Ten percent of car accidents. When an accent happens with a distracted driver, it is important to contact a Wisconsin personal injury attorney and get some legal help. A skilled attorney will defend you, seek justice on your behalf, and help you chose the best course of action.
What are Examples of Distracted Driving?
Driving distractions can be classified as visual, manual or cognitive:
- A visual distraction will take your eyes off of the road. Looking at crash scenes, reading billboards and texting are visual distractions.
- A manual distraction will take your hands off of the road. This includes eating, drinking, using a cell phone, changing CDs and reaching for an object that falls.
- Cognitive distractions take your mind off of the road. Any visual or manual distraction will take your mind off of the road. Daydreaming, road rage, thinking of something that upsets you and talking to other people are examples of cognitive distractions.
How to Prevent Distracted Driving
- Focus your attention on the road. You never should multitask while driving.
- Keep the distractions out of the car. For example, if you are tempted to use a cell phone while driving, then you will need to put it in the trunk.
- Ask passengers not to distract you.
- Do not drive when you are emotional.
- Avoid using headphones while driving.
- Choose your music before you start the car.
The Importance of Wisconsin Car Crash Lawyers
A Wisconsin car accident attorney can help you if you or a loved one have been hurt in a car accident. You will be able to receive compensation for the injuries that you have suffered. Your attorney will also make sure that negligent drivers are held responsible.
Call McLario, Helm, Bertling & Spiegel, S.C. today, if you have been hurt in a car accident involving a distracted driver. We will fight for your rights!