facebook pixel

Am I Legally Obligated to Pay for My Child’s College Tuition?

child’s college tuitionIn general, parents, divorced or otherwise are not required to play for a child’s college tuition. That being said, many parents do contribute something as their children move onto higher education. When the parents are divorced, coming to an agreement regarding how much each parent will fund can be particularly challenging.

Wisconsin law

In the State of Wisconsin, a child support obligations end after a child turns 18 and is or should have been graduated from high school. That being said, a parent does not have a legal obligation to cover the cost of a college education. If contributing to additional schooling is part of the divorce agreement, it is important to clarify in a legal document what is required of each parent. If this document is properly drafted by a qualified family law attorney, it can be enforceable should one parent  decide not to fulfill their side of the agreement.


When determining the terms of this type of agreement, it is important to clearly define the expectations of each parent. Some things the document might cover include:

Creating clear expectations in writing is crucial to ensure that you are not surprised as you get set to send your child off to school. If you or someone you know is looking or compassionate family law representation, contact the team at McLario, Helm, Bertling & Spiegel.

Schedule Free Consultation

When you contact our Milwaukee area law firm, your case will be treated like a unique request for assistance. You are a real person with real needs and will be treated like one by our firm. Nobody has time to be passed around an office from paralegal to secretary and back.
  • Request a Phone Conference