What to do When You’ve Been in an Auto Accident
7 Key Steps to Follow in an Auto Accident
Being in a car accident can be a terrifying experience. Everything happens so fast it can be easy to slip into a panic – especially if you don’t know what to do at the scene. Below are some steps to follow when you’ve been in an auto accident.
- Your number one priority should always be safety. Turn on your hazard lights, call the police, and make sure you and any other individuals involved in the accident receive necessary medical attention for injuries.
- Never leave the scene of the accident without speaking to the authorities.
- If your vehicle has sustained damages from the accident, wait until the authorities have arrived before moving your vehicle. If the vehicle can be moved without causing further damage, move vehicle to a safe location out of traffic.
- Exchange information with all parties involved in the car accident including:
- Name, address and telephone numbers
- Driver License numbers
- Insurance carriers and policy numbers
- Vehicle identification and license plate numbers
- Take pictures with a camera (or phone) of any vehicle damages.
- Never admit fault or sign anything unless provided by the authorities.
- If an officer instructs you to sign the police report, be sure to ask for the reporting officer’s name, and a copy of the report for your own records.
If you were injured in a car accident, whether it was whiplash, broken bones, or scarring, it’s important to contact an experienced car accident lawyer to ensure fair compensation. McLario, Helm, Bertling, & Spiegel, S.C. has extensive experience handling both car and motorcycle accidents. Trust our knowledgeable Menomonee Falls auto accident attorneys to guide you through the entire auto accident legal process and obtain the compensation you’re entitled to.